When visiting the museum a must see is the splendour rooms of the castle.
On the ground floor you find "The Rose". At the time of Christian IV this room was called the Knight's Room and it was a dining room for the king and the ladies and gentlemen of the court. After the fire of 1859, it was restored after drawings and paintings of the room.
On the first floor you find the Castle Chapel. The magnificent Castle Chapel dates back to 1617 and luckily survived the fire of 1859. In 1693 Christian V converted the church into a Knight's Chapel for the two Danish orders: The Order of the Elephant and the Order of Dannebrog. Covering the walls of the Chapel are therefore hundreds of Coats of Arms belonging to royalty and notabilities from all over the world.
The Great Hall
The Great Hall on the second floor was meant for feasting and dancing. Unfortunately, The Great Hall was badly destroyed in the fire of 1859 and was subsequently reconstructed. On the walls of The Great Hall can be seen veaved tapestries depicting events from the life of Christian IV and portraits of the Danish royal family.
This portrait of Christian IV is painted, when the king was at the height of his power following the victory against Sweden in the Kalmar War in 1611-1613. The portrait features many of the symbols typical of classical royal portraits. Beside the royal regalia are a war helmet and a marshal's baton which symbolise that the king is in charge of the army.
Christian VII by Alexander Roslin in Room 52
Alexander Roslin's portrait of Christian VII is largely in reference to the King's trip to Paris in 1768 and testament to the close relationship that existed between Denmark and France in the 1700s. Roslin's painting depicts the absolute monarch in a classical ruler's pose, dressed in expensive robes and with all the necessary royal symbols, but at the same time the artist also manages to capture the King's individuality by allowing his fragile personality to shine through. The portrait is also significant because it was during this trip to Paris that the King became close friends with the German physician Struensee. This encounter would later prove to have serious consequences.
History painting has had a prominent place at Frederiksborg Castle ever since the museum was established in 1878. Early in 1884 J. C. Jacobsen presented a list of about 80 subjects for history paintings and suggestions for placing them in the museum. Today, the museum has revived the tradition and both old and new history paintings can be seen at the museum.
The Conspirators Riding Away from Finnerup after Murdering King Erik Klipping in 1286
Otto Bache's large history painting from 1880-1882 was one of the museum's first acquisitions. The painting, which has almost become a monument to the national-romantic concept of history, represents Denmark's last regicide; the murder of King Erik Klipping in a barn at Finnerup in 1286.